Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Birthday Fallout

Yesterday's 37th was a blast, which means, like any good explosive, it got off to a dull start, laden with tension, no one was sure what's was going to happen, violence was immanent and then everyone just sat back and watched the cool fireworks and went "Ahhhhhhh".

To wit: I sat around angsting about unemployment and credit cards until roughly 2pm, at which time I went to the library to research credit card debt management. Came away with a great book by Anne Garrels from NPR about the Iraq situation. Then picked up Fado the Wonderpooch and dropped him off with Wifey at the MotherofWifey's home so he could help W. with gardening. (He eats dirt clods).

Bought some pizza at Big Time Pizza (one of many chi-chi frou-frou pizzerias on the Eastside that specialize in gourmet toppings like bleu cheese on a salami pie). This was the joint that when I first arrived in Seattle, my then-girlfriend took me to for a pizza with artichoke hearts on it, which I thought profoundly odd.

Went to rehearsal for My Husband's Wild Desires Almost Drove Me Mad, which is the show I'm in now that opens Friday night. Started angsting again as our director is highly, highly strung and keeps fidgeting with our blocking, the way we say lines, and make our entrances. We open in 72 hours and she needs to start backing off. The entire cast is starting to get really tight-lipped around her and she's aware, but nothing changes. We all just look at each other when another round of notes hits and give each other "don't sweat it" reassuring glances. Which is great for me, as I literally started this show right in the middle of the rehearsal schedule, after the original lead bowed out. I've had a little over 2 weeks to get everything nailed, and it shows. Having a director who's trigger-happy over every detail isn't making my job any easier. So it goes...

My castmates surprised me with a yummy cake someone brought in from the catering company they work for - a white cake with fresh blackberries. Huge slabs of icing on doorstop-thick slices. Of course, the director rushes in backstage and hectors us to stop eating and start the cue-to-cue, so we all grumbled and shoveled bites of yummy cake in and went to work. There are only 3 lighting cues in the first act - this took 35 minutes to figure out. Lights up, one spot on the female lead, and lights down. You'd be amazed at how much fidgeting and entering and exiting the stage this requires. The 2nd act is even easier, lighting-wise: lights up to start, lights down to end. Another 40 minutes goes by. Right.

I tried to get everyone to join me for a birthday pint at the local alehouse, but it was past 11pm and we all went our separate ways. Queen's We Are The Champions came on the stereo as I drove home, which was awesome as that is the one song I listen to driving to the theater on opening night. Gets me fired up and ready to rock. So it's 11:30, I'm driving through the suburban Redmond streets with Queen screaming out of my car with the windows down. For some reason, all the traffic lights were out - pitch black outside.

Got home - Wifey and F. the Wonder P. were utterly sacked out. Fado didn't even greet me at the door. I thought no one was home as I came in. The house was completely still. So I stayed up awhile longer and played on the net. Fell asleep at nearly 2am.

All in all, not a bad day. I want to spend every birthday from now on doing something onstage. That is the best way by far to celebrate. Rehearsing, performing, hanging out with other actors. Nothing beats it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home